WHEREAS, by resolution dated September 7, 2004, Local Law No. 5 of the Year 2004 of the Town of Cheektowaga, entitled “A Local Law to Repeal Local Law No. 1 of the Year 1979 and Adopt a Law for Administration and Enforcement of the Codes of New York State” was adopted, and
WHEREAS, the Building and Plumbing Department has recommended that the Building Construction Codes Administration Law be amended:
1.. to amend Section 70-17 B changing Board member compensation to $50.00 per meeting totaling no more than $450.00 per year
2. to amend Section 70-20 A making sewer contractors eligible to obtain a permit for plumbing work and allowing any persons who have successfully completed the NYS plumbers and pipefitters apprentice program to obtain a Masters or Journeyman license without taking an exam upon production of a Certificate of Completion from the NYS Department of Labor
3. to amend Section 70-20 C to further define “sewer contract work” as “any storm, hot boxes/RPZ, sanitary sewer and water service up to 5 ft. of the building”
4. to amend Section 70-23I to allow a resident owner himself to install plumbing within a single family dwelling or double dwelling unit, and
WHEREAS, a draft of such amendments has been prepared by the Building and Plumbing Department, and
WHEREAS, a public hearing was held on the 11th day of April, 2017 at 7:00 P.M. at the Town Hall, 3301 Broadway, Cheektowaga, New York for the purpose of considering the advisability of adopting Local Law Intro No. 2017-4, entitled “A Local Law to Amend the Building Construction Codes Administration Law “, and
WHEREAS, it is in the public interest to adopt said local law, NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT
RESOLVED, that Local Law No. 2 of the Year 2017, entitled “A Local Law to Amend the Building Construction Codes Administration Law”, which is attached hereto and made a part hereof, be and the same is hereby enacted, and BE IT FURTHER
RESOLVED, that Local Law No. 2 of the Year 2017 shall be effective upon filing same with the Secretary of State, and BE IT FURTHER
RESOLVED, that the Town Clerk shall file one (1) certified copy in her office and one (1) certified copy with the Secretary of State.
LOCAL LAW NO. 2 OF THE YEAR 2017
A LOCAL LAW TO AMEND
THE BUILDING CONSTRUCTION COES ADMINISTRATION LAW
1. Subsection B of Section 70-17, Establishment, membership and compensation of Board of Plumbing and Drainage Examiners, shall be amended to read as follows:
Each member of the Board, except the Town Engineer and the Supervising Code Enforcement Officer, shall receive, as compensation as a Board member, an amount of $50 per meeting, totaling no more than $400 per year. The Town Engineer and the Supervising Code Enforcement Officer shall serve without compensation.
2. Subsection A of Section 17-20, Application for master plumber’s, journeyman’s and Sewer Contractor’s license, shall be amended as follows:
a. The first sentence shall be amended to read as follows: “Except for a homeowner, a master plumber or a sewer contractor, can obtain a permit for plumbing work in the Town of Cheektowaga”.
b. The following language shall be added at the end of Section 70-20.A.: “Any person who has successfully completed the NYS plumbers and pipefitters apprentice program shall be allowed to obtain a Masters or journeyman license through the building and plumbing department without taking an exam. The Applicant shall produce a copy of their certificate of completion from the NYS department of labor.”
3. The first sentence of Subsection C of Section 70-20, Application for master plumber’s, journeyman’s and Sewer Contractor’s license, shall be amended to read as follows:
“A certified sewer contractor may obtain a permit for sewer work (defined as work between the curb and the exterior of any structure - which includes any storm, hot boxes/RPZ, sanitary sewer and water service within five (5) feet of the building) in the Town of Cheektowaga and may work on a site without the presence of a master plumber.”.
4. Subsection I of Section 70-23, Supplemental Plumbing restrictions, shall be amended to read as follows:
§70-23.I. Plumbing may be installed by an owner himself, within a single family dwelling or double dwelling unit, provided that all plumbing complies with the requirements of this code, and in such event the word "owner" shall be substituted for the word "plumber" throughout this code, with the exception that the license requirement will be waived.